Living In Vancleave MS
Vancleave, MS is a community located within Jackson County and is a census-- designated place and is on the West Bank of the Pascagoula River, 12 miles North West of Pascagoula which is the county seat. By way of the United States Census Agency, the population of St. Martin was recorded to be 5,586 in 2010. Descendants of the Vancleave family, for whom the town is named, still live in this area.
Vancleave developed as a community in the early to mid-19th century on Bluff Creek which is a small tributary of the Pascagoula River about 7 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico. The community wasoriginally known as Bluff Creek until 1870 when the Postmaster named it Vancleave MS Realty in honor of a prosperous merchant named Robert Van Cleave who established a trading post on Bluff Creek.
Vancleave continued to be a rural town until the start of World War II after which shipyard workers started to move to this area to build ships that supported the war effort at the nearby local. This shipyard was Ingalls, which was owned by Bob Ingalls. To this day, this shipyard is one of the most prominent and important shipyards in the United States. For more information.
Currently, Vancleave is the fastest growing community in Jackson County. Over the past ten years, the population has increased by 25 percent. Vancleave is a bedroom resort community that is near two championship golf courses and many historic properties which are surrounded by bayous and wetlands on 3 sides.
Vancleave's has a gorgeous natural environment provides many opportunities for entertainment as well as eco-tourism.